Saturday, May 26, 2007

Work, Work, Work!

At the moment I am feeling surrounded by work! Paid work, housework, parent work, general work. When I'm like this, I tend to go into 'exhausted' mode. This means that I either live off adrenalin for a few days (and then crash and burn afterwards) or just feel exhausted all the time!

So yesterday morning at about 15 minutes before the necessary leaving time (you know that time....the time that, if you leave any later, you will definitely be late for work!) I realised that I hadn't cut up veges etc to pop into the slow cooker for tea that night. Eeeek! So in a mad rush, I peeled and chopped potatoes, leek and carrots and threw them into the slow cooker with a semi-frozen chicken and a heap of stock to make chicken soup for tea. Ok, I was running slightly behind time but nothing I couldn't make up for.

Then the 7 year old went into her usual screaming match because she realised that it was her teacher's birthday and she didn't have anything to give her. Picture me doing a mad rush into the garden looking for any flower with child crying at doorway. Of course, in the middle of a drought, flowers are not something that we expect to find anymore! So I promised to race into the local servo to buy a chocolate bar for very lucky teacher!

Now running definitely late as I backed the car out of the driveway. Got to servo to find a queue of about 6 people in front of me......all doing eftpos! Typical!

So very very late, I drop child off at school (the other one went earlier with his father thank goodness!) and tear off to work. Halfway to work I realised that somewhere in my brain the previous night I had decided that I wasn't going to worry about chicken soup for tea because I still had leftovers in the fridge that needed reheating! Der me! Oh well, would juggle meals around anyway I decided.

Get to work about 10 minutes late! Not too bad given the morning's events but still I was weary and brain-numb and I knew it. Still, I didn't have to worry about getting home and cooking tea...that was already stewing at home!

So at about 6 o'clock last night I romped into the kitchen to the smell of beautiful chicken and veges cooking.....ummmm....beautiful veges and beautiful chicken with the plastic wrapper still on it, all beautifully cooked!