Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Toilet Trail




I hate public toilets. They are smelly to the point that you feel ill, filled with germs and ugly. Even the clean ones leave you with a feeling of suspicion.

Why is it then that my daughter seems to be having a love affair with them??

It doesn't matter where we are or who we are with.....checking out the toilet is a top priority in her book. Many's a time that I have dropped everything in the middle of the shopping centre to cart her off to the toilet. And half the time I'm sure that she didn't need to go that urgently.....she just wanted to have a gawk at the loo!

Now how on earth did this child come from me? BK (before kids) I rarely ventured into the porcelain jungle (ie public toilets). Now I suddenly have many stories of waiting there for a child who does a 'go-slow' as soon as we enter their stinky domains.

And we have a routine. She suddenly does the toilet dance at the most inopportune time (this is where you squeeze your legs together, put a pained look on your face and point to the affected area all whilst doing a jig up and down). Then we go in search of the toilet, inspect it and then do the paper laying on the seat in the hopes that all affected germs with get the message that seat to skin contact is not allowed! Then it is a waiting game. Me complaining loudly for her to hurry up and she taking as long as she possibly can! And once the whole saga is over, I usually race for the nearest exit for a breath of fresh air.

Now mums of little boys know that this dilemna is slightly easier once they learn to 'stand and point'. But with a little girl, sometimes it's just all too hard.

So please someone tell me that she will grow out of this fascination! Cause I'm sick of seeing the inside of public toilets!