Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What Is Your Quirk?


I was reading Jeanie's blog recently where she mentioned that she matched her clothes pegs. Now, this came as a surprise because I am the only person I know who does that! In fact, my family always give me heaps about it!

Then, on the radio on the way to work this morning they were discussing this exact same thing. They got people to ring in with their own little quirks and guess what.....another peg matcher!!!! :O And she was just like me....not only do the pegs have to match on the line, but they also have to match the colour of the item that you are pegging. For example, pink pegs with a red top just makes me cringe.

Now I am not a fastidious house-cleaner by any means. In fact, my house often (ok, mostly!) looks like a bomb's hit it but my pegs have to be perfect! Now Dear Husband has worked out that this works to his advantage. The few times he has ventured into the laundry and offered to hang clothes out, he's made sure that he mismatches the pegs. He knows that it unhinges me! I have to then go behind him and redo the pegging (and yes, I'm ashamed to say that I do!), really making him realise that he needn't have bothered offering in the first place! Ok, point taken, I'm my own worst enemy sometimes!

So this has gotten me thinking....if my peg matching is my biggest quirk, what do others have? On the radio they had one surfer guy ring in saying that he had to match his board shorts with whichever surfboard he was taking out that morning! Ok....my peg matching seems rather innocuous now!

We all seem to know someone of the quirky variety. A certain in-law of mine (who shall remain nameless here cause I still would like to do family bbqs together) is infamous for his alphabetising of his spice rack and for his carpet laying on the bottom of his tool box (can't let those tools scratch it, can we? ;) )

And how many of us, when buying a newpaper from the local shop, always take the one that isn't from the top of the pile? Ok, putting my hand up for this one, too! And the fact that there's a successful advertisement out there asking whether you are a 'scruncher' or a 'folder' makes me suspect quirkiness is not uncommon.

I was asking a wonderful friend of mine today what his quirk was, but he couldn't think of one! So does that mean that there are people out there without quirks? Or is it just that some people won't admit to theirs? My friend said he'd have to think about what his quirk was! Perhaps his quirk just isn't quirky to him.....yet! Lol!