Monday, May 7, 2007

The Genre Princess


My 7 year old has discovered writing genres! How do I know this? Well it all started on Friday when I bought her a new set of felt pens (she'd been nagging for a new set for ages and I finally got around to getting them!). By Saturday, she'd become a permanent fixture at her kiddy table, creating all kinds of interesting pictures and stories. But on Saturday night, tragedy (of the 7 year old kind) struck when the purple pen went missing. Now, with all the enthusiasm we could muster, we did a quick scout around the house, looking for the mysteriously vanishing purple, but to no avail.

A little time after that, she asked me what 2 colours made purple. 'Red and blue' was my reply, not thinking much of it.

The next morning I awoke to find these little 'Missing' notes blu-takked in strategic places around the house.....all in the ideal place for us to see.

I had to have a little chuckle to myself. Not only had she perfected the 'Lost notice' genre in her own innocent way, but she had done her very best at working out how to spell the words.

I've decided that it's the little things like this that make us adore our children even more!