Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Cooking Like Mum


I have very fond memories of coming home after school, as a child, to a house smelling of my mother's cooking. She has always been the queen of sweet cooking in our family. Cakes, slices, biscuits, desserts....all are possible in my mum's kitchen.

I, on the other hand, have had little inclination to run out and whip up a batch of fresh scones or the like. My standard 'bring a plate' to bbqs etc is usually a quick Coles-bought dip and a pack of Jatz! As a working mum (albeit part time) who spends a lot of time running around after kids, I really just don't have the time or the energy to do that 'production' stuff.

But I'm going to change! I keep telling myself this! So today I pulled out the mixing bowl and recipe books and found a recipe that my mum used to make when I was a child, that I had obviously copied at some stage when I was younger and more motivated to cook. They are her Coconut Crisp Biscuits. What do you think? I am pretty impressed with my end product!

So today my kids will have their afternoon tea of milk and home cooked cookies....just like their mum used to do all those years ago!