Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Whole Lotta Love!

My friend's daughter got married yesterday. Like all weddings, it was a joyous event with a beautiful, teary bride all dressed in white, a handsome young groom, a bevy of colourful bridesmaids and groomsmen, a bit of drama (traffic hold-ups), and a whole lotta ceremony!

I found some stages throughout the ceremony rather bittersweet as I reflected waaayyyyyy back on moments of the bride's life - especially on the moment when I guessed that her mother was 'a little bit' pregnant with her. Should you feel old on occasions like this?! Whereas before, I have always been considered a 'friend of the bride/groom', suddenly I've been relegated to 'an old friend of my mother's'!!! Hmmmmm! She is the first child of a friend of mine to get married and can I just add here that her mother was incredibly young when she had her!!! Lol! There, that makes me feel better, saying that!

Anyway, alongside the bride were her sisters, including my absolutely gorgeous Goddaughter who I love to pieces and am just so proud of! To watch a tiny baby grow into a young, friendly, thoughtful and caring woman is an absolute privilege......to be her Godmother in the process is even more so!

I loved the words of the priest, throughout his sermon. He spoke of love. He told how love grows. How the love of newlyweds is exciting and energetic but that that love is just the beginning. He advised that new love should strive to grow to be the love that is shared by a couple after years of marriage. He spoke of how great it is for a couple to declare their love to the world through the vows of marriage. He was a wise, old priest!

And, like all good brides (me included!), she chose the 1 Corinthians 13 verse for one of their readings. I just love these words. They are just so true:
"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

*sigh* Don't you just love love....in all its forms!!!