Saturday, September 27, 2008

Gotta Love BBC Adaptions!

I am such a sad, soppy romantic! All of those romance genes within me were doing happy dances last night when I discovered that the BBC has recently (in Britain) aired an adaption of Thomas Hardy's, 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'.

Ok, specifically speaking, Tess isn't really a romance (more a tragedy), but the connection between her and Angel Clare is palpable. And Hardy's unsaid comments on the treatment of women in that period are obvious as the past sins of Tess and Angel are judged so differently.

I must admit that Tess is a novel that does hold some sweet memories for me. It was one of the literary pieces that I studied all those years ago at high school. And I was surprised when I loved reading and discussing it. My Marist brother English teacher had also picked such classics as King Lear and Oedipus Rex for study in that year - is it any wonder that I enjoyed Tess so much! (Just don't get me started on the works of Gerard Manly Hopkins and his 'dark night of the soul' which I still find that I paraphrase while everyone looks at me blankly! Lol!). And I admit that the love story between Tess and Angel Clare got me darn good English marks that year.....something I remember even more fondly! Lol!

I just love the BBC historical dramas that have been adapted for television in recent years. The Jane Eyre story was spell-binding and North and South really put the current stock of these dramas on the proverbial map.

So now I sit in anticipation, wondering when the ABC will decide (if they decide) to air Tess of the D'Urbervilles here in Australia. Once again, we are expected to wait for such great pieces to arrive on our televisions here - a frustrating thing, no matter what show you await.

So just to whet our appetites, here is a snippet from this upcoming drama. Enjoy!