Sunday, September 14, 2008

Paying It Forward For Nie



About a month ago, I had never heard of Stephanie Nielsen or the Nie Nie Dialogues. A lot has changed since then. As I was doing my weekly scroll through blogs a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but note so many blog entries about Stephanie and her husband and the tragic private plane accident that they were involved in and the way that so many internet bloggers had banded together to raise money for their recovery.

Initially, I had detachment. Stephanie and I didn't have a lot in common (we were on different sides of the world, she is sooo much younger, we go to different churches, she has way more children than me etc etc).

But then I started going back and reading Stephanie's blog. What I found there was riveting. For the last few years, she has written about the stories of her life. Through her words, I started to feel as if I knew her wonderful, energetic four children. I read about the love story between her and her husband. I celebrated the achievements of her extended family (How I realise what I am missing by not having a sister!). And I marvelled at the creative flair that she demonstrated in decorating her own home. I was so enthralled that I sat at the computer for hours just reading about her life and wondering why I hadn't come across her blog before.

The most amazing thing about Stephanie's blog is simple. She loved her life. She rejoiced in her role as mother and wife and celebrated the basic things that we so often overlook. In our rush-filled existence it is so easy to take so many of life's basic pleasures for granted.....the pleasure of sitting outside under a tree to eat dinner, the pleasure of our children going back to school, the pleasure of making others happy.

So touched was I by reading the blog that I started to look around at my own life. And you know what? I felt ashamed! Ashamed that I had so easily fallen into the trap of finding the day-to-day grind of life a drudge. Ashamed that the simple things felt 'too hard'. Ashamed that I'd fallen for the negative at times when I should have remained positive.

Yesterday, I read this entry on Mom Logic. When I finished, I got up and turned off the computer. I walked out to my children and asked them if they wanted to go for a walk with me (Ok, dog included...I was feeling brave!). For the next half hour, we walked and talked and just enjoyed being with each other. We had a Nie moment.....and all thanks to a woman who is fighting for her life in a hospital on the other side of the world!

I cannot agree enough with Mom Logic.......pay it forward for Stephanie. And for the simple pleasure of being a mum!

To help Stephanie and Christian's recovery, go to this site for more information.
To keep up-to-date with their progress, read Stephanie's wonderful sister, Courtney's updates here.
To visit Stephanie's blog, go here.

Praying for Stephanie and Christian and that they will be back home to their loved ones soon.