Friday, September 5, 2008

Rainy Days and Cupcakes!



Up until now, I have avoided the whole cupcake phenomenon (and what ever happened to calling them 'patty cakes'? Anyone?)! They always seemed like a 'two step' (ie, too much work) process to me. But yesterday, with rain pouring down, I had a sudden urge to cook some. Don't ask me why....perhaps I am 'nesting' or something......or maybe, just maybe, I was avoiding all of the housework screaming at me!

My first step, of course was to find a recipe. I ended up settling on this one by Nigella Lawson. Then it was a matter of cooking, icing and decorating. Naturally, and typically of my spur-of-the-moment cooking decisions, I had to search for a cake topper for each, eventually settling on fresh strawberries cause they looked yummy scrummy....at least I thought so!

So, what do you think? My only complaint was that the Nigella recipe made flatter cupcakes than I'd anticipated in my wild imagination. Not those little hill-top ones that you buy in the shops. Regardless, Dear Husband and the kids went cupcake berserk when they got home and needless to say that there aren't many left!

Mind you, I am sending the males in my house off to the football tonight so perhaps Miss Eight and I will have cupcakes for dessert as well!