Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Telephone Call!


A few weeks ago, my phone rang just as I was almost out the door and heading to drop the 12 year old at cricket! (You know, those times when you have a 'should I answer it or shouldn't I' moment and then realise that you probably shouldn'ta!!)

It was a senior at my work.

"Ummmmm", she stuttered quietly down the phone. "I was just wondering if you would be interested in working an extra day a week?"

I stood in stunned-mullet silence, gaping at the telephone receiver.

"Why?" I managed to blurt out.

"Because we have someone with health issues who needs to drop a day's work".

Simple as that! No begging, no pleading, no sucking up at how I was perfect for the job! Just a simple question and whammy.....my life as I knew it was changed in a moment!

Isn't that always that way?

I could have said no. I probably should have said no. I have serious back issues. I get migraines. My life is one giant roller coaster ride of work, eat, sleep, run after kids! How on earth could I fit all of that in and work an extra day?

And then, I saw it looming in front of me......HIGH SCHOOL FEES!!!

So I said yes!

And now, I am just so tired! My house is a complete and utter shambles (and yes, I know I should put the others in this house to work more but sometimes it's more work for me actually doing things that way!). My free time has almost gone and I am looking down the barrel of at least 5 more months like this! Stupid, stupid high school fees! But hey....at least now I can pay them and still have nights of take away dinners! Lol!

And the lesson that I've learned in all of this is that if the phone rings as you are walking out the door....leave it! It's probably not important anyway!