Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Slow Cooker Osso Bucco!


My love affair with my slow cooker continues to simmer (Lol!). In fact, it has become an integral part of my dinner preparations for at least one night per week. I know that there is some preparation beforehand - in my case usually the night before - but it is so easy to place the crock pot into the heat cradle in the morning and come home to the smell of dinner cooking in the evening! Nice! It's also great for family members who come in late from work, sport training etc as we can all eat at different times but the food remains warm.

Here is a favourite in our house....Osso Bucco! It does involve preparing a gremolata at the end, but believe me, it is worth it!

4 lamb shanks
1 tbs flour seasoned with mixed herbs (your choice of herbs!)
1 onion, diced
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup wine
1 x 440g tin crushed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbs tomato paste

Toss the shanks in the seasoned flour. Place all ingredients in the hot pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Gremolata:

1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (and yes, has to be fresh cause it's just so darn nice!)
2 tsp garlic
1 tablespoon lemon rind.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Serve Osso Bucco with rice (I have a rice cooker that I can't recommend enough!). Top with gremolata! Yum!