Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Latest Book Obsession


Have you noticed anything new about this blog? Yep, that's right! New Shelfari to the right! For a long time, I've avoided putting one up because my reading habits are a bit like the rest of my life....if I can fit it in, great, if not then it gets neglected! But lately, since I have found vampire romances of all things, I have been good. I did also commit to trying to fit more personal reading into my schedule after going the inspirational Bruce Sullivan seminar (one of the things he talks about is work-life balance) and so far it's bubbling along nicely!

So my latest great book read is the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson. Now if the thought of anything to do with vampires makes your blood cringe (lol!) then take heart (double lol!) cause this one is just so much fun! In fact, think Stephanie Plum meets vampire girl and you have the character of Betsy Taylor....newly turned vampire who, it just so happens becomes the vampire queen thanks to a book of prophecies which describes all of Betsy's special qualities - like being able to pray and wear crosses and be staked, all without the traditional effect! The problem is that Betsy is more interested in keeping all of her human friends and family and worrying about her massive shoe collection than doing any queenly duties!

And of course, for all of the romance lovers like me, there is the very hunky, tall, dark and almost scary Eric Sinclair who falls into the job of being Betsy's consort and future husband.

So funny was Davidson's writing that I found my self laughing out loud to many of the little jokes in the book - something I haven't done since the likes of Stephanie Plum and Bridget Jones!

For those of us who love a series, this one doesn't disappoint either. From what I can gather, there are 6 books in the series (I've read up to book 5 and am waiting on #6) with another one due mid this year. And to whet the appetite there are also a number of novellas in between.

So don't be put off. This book is more chick-lit than scary vamp stuff and is great for a weekend of light reading.