Friday, March 21, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera


Softly, deftly, music shall caress you
Hear it, feel it, secretly possess you
Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind,
in this darkness that you know you cannot fight
the darkness of the music of the night.


Well now I know what all of the fuss was about! Tonight I finally saw this show in the current Australian production! Wow! Now I know what I've been missing out on!

I did love so much of it! I loved the songs and the storyline! I adored the amazing costumes and I marvelled at the special effects! The stunning sets left me speechless (The gargoyles, chandelier and boat scene were enough to leave anyone speechless)! I even sang along with the actors as they performed. Why then, did I feel like something was missing? Possibly because Anthony Warlow was not performing on the night of our viewing! We got the understudy....a fine and capable singer no doubt, but let's face it, Warlow has the 'it' factor that you can't bottle and usually have to be born with! I wanted someone on the stage to transport me passionately into the storyline but alas it didn't quite happen (ok, it did in the final scenes and heck, I was mesmerised! If only it could have been that way throughout the entire performance).

Having said all of that, I did rush out at interval and buy the cd so that I could sing it all again on my drive home. And just so that I'm not alone, I've added it to my imeem player so you can all get it stuck in your head for the rest of the day, too! Lol! Enjoy!