Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Pie to Remember!


I am not a gourmet cook. In fact, I am the type of cook who prefers to just throw something on and have it ready in a few minutes so that I can then get on with the rest of the pressing matters that consume my day. A few of my friends are the same, so when I gave them this recipe (which by the way, is a skinny recipe!) they were delighted and now make it as regularly as I do.

1. Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Fry 1 chopped onion and 2 teaspoons of minced garlic in a pan. When soft, add 2 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup chopped parsley and 2 teaspoons dill. Stir well.

2. Then add 1 cup chopped mushrooms and 1 packet frozen winter vegetables. Heat through until cooked. Fold in shredded chicken meat (minus skin) from 1 whole cooked chicken. When all warm, pour into a flat casserole dish (I have used a big lasagne dish at times).

3. Cut 12 filo sheets in half. Scrunch each half piece and place on top of cooked chicken mix until entire top is covered. Spray all filo with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden.

I have served this when visitors come over with a light salad and crusty bread and I have also made it just as a week night special and usually end up having left-overs for the next day!

Enjoy!