Thursday, June 28, 2007

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!


It's so cold here! So much so that I've been snuggled up in my bed watching cheap dvds and wearing pjs, socks, beanie etc. In fact, I just can't get warm. So much for 'sunny Queensland'! Bring back humid summer, I say!

Now, in the good ol' days when we actually had water, there was nothing like a steaming hot shower to warm the ice-block toes in this weather! But now that level 5 water restrictions have deemed that as not an option, there is only one thing left to keep the insides warm.....good old fashioned soup!

One of my favourites is this pumpkin soup recipe. Now, I am soooo not a pumpkin lover, which I'm sure comes from a childhood of trying to find as many different ways to 'hide' the pumpkin on your plate and getting smacked if it wasn't gone...or it's hiding spot was found! But this soup recipe was given to me by a work collegue some 16 years ago and it has always been fantastic. The good thing about it is that it is just basic! You can use your imagination to add bits and pieces to it, depending on what takes your fancy. The basic recipe works well (even for non-foodies like me!) and the one in the picture was actually done in the slow cooker, although I've also done it on a big pot on the stove top. At different times in the past, I've added nutmeg, ginger, curry powder, light sour cream etc - all with slightly different tastes but all successful.

Pumpkin Soup

Approx 1/2 kg potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 kg pumpkin, peeled and diced
2 onions, chopped
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
4 cups water (or enough to cover veges)
4 chicken stock cubes

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer until soft. (For slow cooker, I just put all ingredients on low for 6-8 hours). Blend in blender or food processor. Return to stove or slow cooker. Add 1 cup lite cream and heat through. Add salt and pepper if desired.