Friday, June 22, 2007

The Anniversary Dinner at Bretts Wharf!


I have wanted to try Bretts Wharf for ages and our anniversary dinner was the perfect excuse. If you are a Ready, Steady, Cook fan and know Alastair McLeod, you'll know that he is the executive chef there (and after watching him religiously in my free afternoon tv viewing and drooling over the food he cooks, it's one of the reasons that I wanted to go there!). Although we didn't spot the aforementioned chef, we did sample the delicious food that this restaurant has to offer.

Now let me set the scene....big open-space type room of varying levels, decor of modern design with low light and lots of timber and wrought iron, set overlooking the Brisbane River with fantastic city views across the water and the conversation-piece of how many city cat ferries we could view throughout the night an ongoing theme of the evening!

The service was top notch...it should be....I counted about a dozen drinks and table service staff! But the food was fantastic. We both started the evening with the grilled octopus, lemon aioli, piquillo pepper salsa rossa and ruby grapefruit salad. What a treat! The varying flavours mixed superbly....so much so that we both wished that it was a main item.....we could have kept eating it.

For mains, I had the roasted ocean trout which was cooked to perfection and Dear Husband had the eye fillet which, according to him was great although could have been bigger to fill his 'steakhouse' mentality and stomach!

But dessert was my favourite meal of the night! We both ordered warm mocha fondant, crushed raspberries and toasted brioche icecream. Yummo! It took a little while to arrive because they obviously made it on order, but it didn't disappoint when it did (although not doubt my hips may disappoint me later when it goes straight to them! Lol!)

Now, I didn't want this post to sound like a restaurant critique - which it is starting to - but if ever you are around the Brisbane/Hamilton way and are looking for a nice restaurant to eat at, I can recommend Bretts Wharf because we walked out wondering why we hadn't been there sooner.

Oh, and I did sneak a photo on my phone cam of my lovely main.