Friday, December 19, 2008

Really Rockin' Rocky Road!


I have never been a Rocky Road fan. I have always disliked glace cherries (those horrible little coloured things that taste like sticky rubber IMO!). But I love this recipe and I have solved the 'Blerrr, glace cherries!' problem by substituting them for lollies. Yum!

Now, everyone who tries this loves it, so I hope that you do, too!

Ingredients:

180g arrowroot biscuits, crushed
120g butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkt marshmallows (I use those mini cooking marshmallows)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup coconut
60g copha
1 pkt slivered almonds
1 pkt red and green jube type lollies (I chop snake lollies....and I also add the orange and yellow ones!)
1 pkt dark cooking chocolate (I used a large pkt....sorry, can't remember the quantity)

Method:

1. Place the butter, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan.
2. Cook gently until dissolved.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Add eggs, vanilla, biscuits and coconut.
5. Press firmly into a slab tin.
6. Chill in the refrigerator. (I only did this for a short time but it really depends on how busy you are, as to how long you leave in the fridge!)
7. Place marshmallows, toasted almonds and lollies on top.
8. Melt chocolate and copha in a bowl sitting over boiling water.
9. Pour chocolate mix over rest of ingredients in tray.
10. Chill and cut!

Oh and I often serve this on a dessert chocolate platter which includes rum balls, biscotti, nuts and fresh fruit!

Yummmmy!! Who says that Christmas isn't for kilojoules!