Monday, August 25, 2008

Olympic Emptiness!

I came home from work this afternoon and turned the television on, only to remember that the Olympics are now over for another four years! Is it sad to admit that I am having 'Olympic withdrawal' already?

I loved watching the Olympics. I loved seeing the quality of athletes competing (and envying their fitness levels, too! *blush*). I thought that the Chinese performances in last night's closing ceremony, also were magnificent (Good grief...what about that tower of people?!) and I am yawning today as a result of staying up till midnight watching it.

So it is with heavy heart that I reflect on the last 2 (or so) weeks from a blatantly Australian perspective:

*The moment that made me smile: watching the interview with Sally McLellan after she won the silver in the hurdles. The interviewer, Pat Welch, asked her a question and her response was 'Did you see me? Did you see me at the start?' Rofpmsl! Ummmmm....yep, we all saw you, Sally and thought that you were great!

*The moment that made me cheer: this is so hard cause there were so many moments but I think that watching Matthew Mitcham win gold in the diving was a magnificent moment. I'd followed his heats all afternoon and my bestie and I were commenting on his progress. Then to see him win with such a great dive was just fantastic!

*The moment that made me reflect: definitely the bronze medal won by Robin Bell in canoeing. He was cheered on by almost 20 0f his mates who have helped him (financially...emotionally) over the years to continue his sport and were there to support him during his big moment. True mateship, IMO.

*The moment that made me cry: Ok, not an Aussie but when German weightlifter Matthias Steiner won gold and held up a photograph of his deceased wife during the medal presentation, my tears were flowing!

*The moment that made me disappointed: Eamon Sullivan winning silver in the men's 100 metre freestyle after he'd broken the world record the day before. Oh, and Cadel Evans coming 5th in the cycling time trials cause he was carrying an injury.

*The moment that made me gasp: watching Steve Hooker win the pole vault. Omg! I lost sleep cause it was touch and go for a while between him and the Russian guy. He was only clearing the high bar on his third go at each attempt and I just could not turn off the tellie until I saw the outcome. I think it was well after 1am before I got some sleep!

*The moment that amazed me: what can we say about a guy who gets 8 gold medals? Phelps might not be an Aussie but if rumour is correct and he snogged Stephanie Rice, then can't we claim something???? Baaahaaa!

*The moment that made me proud: watching Grant Hackett get silver in the men's 1500 metre freestyle. That guy's heart is obviously big and he proved what a true champ he is.

*The moment that shocked me: was it a Judo or Tae Kwon Do participant who biffed the referee? Ouch!

*And finally...the moment that annoyed me.....the British press who actually paid to gloat by hiring trucks with big signs across them to drive around Sydney and London declaring that Britain beat Australia in the gold medal count! Not really in the true spirit of the games, IMO fellas! And if you want to get nasty then I have just one question.....who has won the Ashes for the last 16 years?? Ooohhhhh.....right back at ya, huh?