Friday, August 15, 2008

14 August!


My nanna's birthday.

So instead of moping around all feeling sad and sorry, I decided to take the kids to the Brisbane Exhibition (or 'Ekka' as most Brisbanites like to call it!).

First up, though I attended a breakfast seminar on Educating Boys given by one of my favourite speakers, Ian Lillico! So inspirational! But why oh why these things always occur on my days off, I have no idea!

Then off to Ekka. All was going well until we went to park the car. Some bright spark decided to develop the land space where we usually park, hence lots of cars and not enough car spaces. We waited almost an hour just to get in! Next year, I'm catching the train!

Finally, in at the Ekka all was great. Lots and lots of walking! Lots of rides and games. Lots of animals (Damn, those moo cows are huge!). My fave pavilion was the Woolworths one where every second stall had free taste samples! Yeow! Some nice food there and I caught up with my favourite Bush Tucker distributor and got another pack of my favourite Lemon Myrtle spice.

Of course, Miss Eight loved the dog show. We arrived in time to see the Schnauzers on show and the Cavaliers lining up. Awwwww, cute!

The kids dragged me through the show bag pavilion and they bought bags that were sooo typical of them......the twelve year old got lolly bags (Trying to destroy that teeth investment I've made in his mouth, no doubt! Lol!) and Miss Eight was on a mission to get the Spongebob bag! She didn't care for the foodstuff....just the fun stuff!

The weirdest moment of the day was when a bunch of us were standing around one tiny tv that was at the back of sideshow alley tent, trying to view who won the men's 100 metre swimming final. Imagine it! All these strangers united in disappointment that Eamon Sullivan got pipped for gold by a Frenchman with massive shoulders! Good grief, how many of us Olympic armchair fanatics are there?!

And finally, after almost falling into bed last night, I woke this morning to the news that the husband of a work colleague had died unexpectedly last night. A very sad end to an eventful day!