Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I've Read It!


*************SPOILERS BELOW*****************************

I admit it, I preordered Breaking Dawn. But the last couple of weeks I've been feeling so ill that it has taken me longer than anticipated to read it! So now I've finally found my way to the back cover! Yay!

My thoughts on Breaking Dawn are mixed. I did read a number of on-line reviews and tried to not let these influence my overall reaction but perhaps some have. So, I am following Toni's lead and writing my impressions of the story. Please be warned, however that SPOILERS do follow!

The Great Bits

*I love Edward and Bella. *sigh* Ok, Edward is setting up impossible standards for real men everywhere (hey, learn from him, Fellas!) but I do think that their love story is just fantastic. They really do portray a modern Romeo and Juliet for the masses. And in BD, the essence of that love is still dominant throughout the story.

*Bella's 'change'. Ok, we knew it was going to happen but I just loved the way that it did and how she coped so well with it. Believable? No! But this is a fiction story so Stephenie Meyer could make Bella as adaptable to that change as she wanted....and she did! Lol! And I loved reading it!

* The wedding/honeymoon! The first section of the book was great. It really did flow on from the previous book and made you believe in the lurve! There were parts to this section that I had issues with, but the main storyline was in keeping with the rest of the story. True love rocks!

*Alice! How could you not love Alice?!

*The ending....give me a happy one any day! *double sigh*

The Not-So-Great Bits

*Charlie....Arghhhhh! His character really annoyed me! I mean, he is a cop, for crying out loud! Surely, after Jacob's 'revelation', he'd want to investigate the whole darn lot rather than have a 'need to know' attitude. Pul-ease! He really shouldn't have been so accepting of what was happening! Annoying!

*Jacob's point-of-view! So I'm not a Jake fan! And perhaps I am a little bias. But the section with his POV seemed to just drag on. In a way, I can see why SM included it but really, was it necessary? I liked the view from Bella's end. I like being in her head. Why change what works?

*Renesmee....is that really a name? Omg! I can see how she linked the whole Jacob/Edward thing. I can even understand why SM included her. But the super-speedy growth thing was frustrating.

*Human....humans? What humans? Oh, you mean those few who attended the wedding and were never seen again?

*The honeymoon.....awwww c'mon! If I woke up on my honeymoon with bruises all over me and remorseful husband after a wild night of passion that I couldn't remember, I'd freak out! No way would I be saying that it was all a-ok! Not a message that we want to get out there to young girls, huh!

*Toni summed it up when she said
I felt the events in the book were just thrown in together without giving it the right amount of tension or details to make each major event richer.
I read that and went....yeah! Sums it up for me!

I've always been very vocal about how I felt that the Twilight series was not just a teen girlie romance and that it had universal appeal (At my work it is we women in the 35-50 age bracket who haven't stopped talking about it. Hmmmm....what does that say about us?!) I admit though that I got to the end of this one and thought that perhaps it was more suited to its younger target audience. Perhaps my more matured tastes needed a tangier storyline! I wasn't totally unsatisfied with the story though and do feel sad that the Bella/Edward story has now come to a close; there were just bits that annoyed me! I'm just hanging out for Midnight Sun and the release of the movie now! Gold Class, anyone?!