Sunday, July 27, 2008

Two Years Ago Today


Two years ago to today, I lost my nanna! I can't believe how quickly time has past - it seems like only yesterday! The pain, although numbed, is still there and I think that I can honestly say that not a day has gone by since when I haven't thought about her in some form or another. I guess that is normal when you are mourning the loss of someone that you truly love.

I've thought a lot about nanna today- how she lived a full and long life and how she taught me so much, both outright and incidentally. She taught me that it is ok to be a strong woman. That no matter how difficult life is, you should look on the bright side and try to turn it into a joke....laughter really can be great medicine! She taught me to appreciate the finer aspects of nature - the native birds and plants, the afternoon strolls along a beach. She taught me simple things like how to enjoy a good game of scrabble or bingo, a weak cup of tea, routinely watching the game shows on television, a traditional poem spoken simply from memory, eating fresh fruit and vegetables, gardening, bus trips. But most importantly, she taught me about love....how to love unconditionally! That family is so important and that, no matter what, she loved us and was proud of us simply because we were her people!

I miss you nanna, today and always!