Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sushi Sushi


I am no cooking expert and definitely don't have any real knowledge of Asian food. But I do love sushi! I've always thought that sushi was an incredibly difficult thing to recreate at home so have never even tried. The other day, however, when in the supermarket, I spotted a sushi making section and decided to move outside of my comfort zone and give them a go!

Well, here is my attempt! Traditional sushi makers across the world may cringe at them but I am pretty darn proud of my first effort! They were much easier to make than what I expected and the twelve year old loved them!

In fact, we set up a 'help yourself' dinner night at home where we had a counter full of rice paper and nori, bowls of chopped chicken, bowls of chopped vegetables (cucumber, carrot, lettuce, celery, avocado) and bottles of soy and satay sauce so that the kids could make their own sushi or rice paper rolls. Oh and we also needed a big bowl of cold water to soften the rice paper. The family thought that it was fantastic (the eight year old thought she was very clever making her own rice paper rolls) and they were having fun eating healthy foods! Yayyy!