Sunday, August 19, 2007

Grumpy Happy Days


It's a rainy day in Brisbane today. I should be happy, I know. We desperately want and need water, but today the gray skies are probably matching my mood. I just feel grumpy.......at children who create mess everywhere they walk, at husbands who get drunk at parties on our child-free night (both kids had sleep-overs...yaaayyy!) and then come home (being taxied by their completely sober wife) and pass out, at fighting kids, at the feeling that I'm getting nothing accomplished, at the fact that I couldn't find anything to wear to last night's party because I've put on weight, hmmmmm....at life in general maybe!

And today on Video Hits, I watched an interview with Powderfinger members who, once again, credited all child-actors in their latest video to being Samford State School children. Can someone please tell them that NOT ALL children in that video clip were from that school! Arrrrghhh! The local paper also published this but it is simply not true. Many children who heard about the auditions through their agents and through the band's own website went to the south side of Brisbane for auditions (ie...my son) and were cast that way.

At present I am also watching the rain fall over my new water tank....which is STILL NOT hooked up to the down-pipes even though Dear Husband has had about a month to do this. Arrrghhhhh....don't ask why - I've given up asking this!

And to top off my afternoon, my hands-free telephone is broken. It keeps going flat and I cannot hear the telephone ring. Time for a new phone, of course, but in the meantime I keep missing calls here!

All things considered, I know that these little irritations are not life-threatening and, on their own, not really that important. I think I'm just in one of those life valleys, staring at the hills around me that I have to climb!

So I did what many a good self-respecting woman would do.....I cooked! And what better thing to cook on a cold, wet Brissie day than warm, fluffy scones. I just used the recipe from my book but I will share a few little tips here that my father passed down to me........always use really cold milk and a really hot oven; once you put the milk in, mix the ingredients for as short a period as possible with a knife (not spoon) - it should still be wet and sticky when you put in onto a floured board; when on the board, cover in flour and don't roll...just pat into a whole shape; Instead of cutting with a scone cutter, simply slice the dough like you would a biscuit slice. I always follow these instructions and you know what....I think I'm doing ok in the scone cooking department! After all, they were all eaten quickly and you know what...there is nothing like a hit of sugar to help you out of a glum mood!

Enjoy your week!