Saturday, July 28, 2007

Truly Inspirational!


I've been sick for the last week. I didn't work and I barely got out of bed on most days. My simple flu ended up becoming a severe bronchial infection. My poor kids have had to fend for themselves when my mother wasn't around to pick them up from school or cook for them. Miss 7 though, spent a lot of this week home with me, too. She still wasn't her usual self right up until Thursday afternoon. I knew she was ok to go back on Friday though when she complained to me that staying home was boring! That's my girl!

My week has been filled with sleeping and watching television and sleeping and watching television. See a pattern here? Lol! In fact, I've become quite up with the latest that daytime tv has to offer. My conclusion...not a lot! Thank goodness for channel 10 who have the whole Dr Phil-Oprah thing down pat! I think I'm hooked! I know exactly who went to the Dr Phil house last week and all about Gail and Oprah's spa day. I must say though, that when you are feeling like bler, Oprah is the one to watch. Her shows are so uplifting and inspirational! If they didn't bring me to tears cause they were just such great stories, then I was spellbound by them. I read somewhere recently that she was talking about retiring her show. I truly hope not. I mean, who out there does what Oprah does????

After the Dr Phil-Oprah shows, Channel ten then tempt us with the delectable Ready Steady Cook. Omg! I love this show! Every night I open my fridge and see milk, fruit, veges, meat etc and that is all I see. These chefs see the same food but magically turn them into masterpieces. And all in ten or twenty minutes. Now why can't I do that???? Last week, Alistair McLeod (from Bretts Wharf...one of my fave restaurants now!) turned plain old strawberries and cream into a work of art. He had the strawberries with some fancy cream and topped off with these amazing toffee sticks (recipe is here). Omg! If I could have reached through the television and nicked off with one, I would have!

Now, speaking of inspiring, I have just finished watching last week's episode of Australian Story, featuring the story of Belinda Emmett (it's on youtube if anyone missed it but take my advice and have tissues nearby). You know, when she passed away last year from breast cancer, I did feel sad. But watching that show had me in floods of tears. Man, she was just too young! Yet, she was so positive about living with cancer and about life. I don't think I could have been that way if I was in the same position. How she didn't fall apart will remain one of life's mysteries. Particularly with the media reporting on her every move. She was truly an inspiration and her death was not only a loss to those dear to her but I think it's left a little hole in humanity, too. A work colleague I know is suffering a similar fate at the moment.....cancer returning and being just too young! I really hope and pray that they find a cure to this horrible disease in the not-too-distant future.