Thursday, July 12, 2007

10 Songs that Make You Sad

Inspired from reading Another Mom Blog, I thought I'd create my own list.

1) Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton. This is weird but on the way to the cemetery....while driving in the funeral procession for nanna 1, this was playing on the radio. Then, 2 days before my FIL died (some years later) it was playing on the radio again. A month or so later, while shopping in a fruit shop, it was muzak in the background and the next day my grandpop died. Seriously sad. Everytime I hear it now I wonder if I'm going to hear of a death afterwards!

2) Ah May the Red Rose Live Always....Stephen Foster as sung by Suzy Bogguss. A really old song with a modern twist but was played at my nanna 2's funeral and brings back tearful memories.

3) Angel by Sarah McLoughlin....I love this song but it is so sad, too!

4) The Anzac by Adam Brand. Every Anzac ceremony that I go to that plays this song, I end up in tears at!

5) These Days...Powderfinger. I love this song. In fact, I'm sure that they were chanelling my life when they wrote it. Makes me sad because it is so damn accurate at times and perfect for anyone feeling that pinch of mid-life.

6) To Where You Are....Josh Groban. Lyrics say it all, I think.

7) Till Kingdom Come...Coldplay. I thought about putting The Scientist here, too. In fact, a lot of Coldplay songs make me sad...in a good way, of course! ;)

8) So Far Away....Carole King. When I got my first job 2 hours away from home, a friend made a tape for me to listen to on the drive there. He put this song on it, along with lots of songs about friendship and love and for years I cried everytime I played it. Sadly, the friendship didn't last but the memory of the song did.

9) Watch Over Me...Bernard Fanning. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house when he sang this at last year's Arias.

10) Better Be Home Soon...Crowded House. Sadness for the memories of a youth now replaced by laugh lines and responsibility! And sadness too for the memory of Paul Hester - who I actually met IRL once and who appeared as gregarious then as he did on the screen and stage. How sad that he was obviously battling his own demons. And if you do watch the link to this song right through and remain dry-eyed, then you are much stronger than me because I cry everytime Neil Finn starts his opening verse.

11) Can I add an 11? It seems that no list of mine could be complete without a Robbie reference and Nan's Song always makes me sad as it's about him losing his nanna......and having lost mine a year ago next month, I can so feel the pain!

In fact, I could add heaps more. But I'll leave my list there. Perhaps others can make their own.