Monday, July 23, 2007

It Takes the Flu to Ruin A Weekend!


I picked Miss 7 up on Friday afternoon and she declared that she wasn't well. No doubt she wasn't her usual self but as I had one of my oldest and dearest friend's 40th birthday parties on Saturday night, I safely left her (and the 11 year old) in the capable babysitting hands of the grandparents while Dear Husband and I went out to par-tay!!

Now, the party was at Kangaroo Point in the most beautiful place, with sweeping city views. Nice....right! And the prospect for catching up with old friends and acquaintances would normally be something I'd look forward to. But as the night progressed, I started to feel the same symptoms that Miss 7 had been experiencing.....aching muscles, sore throat, fever, dizziness, headache etc. What timing! So as I eyed the beautiful stack of cupcakes that was the birthday celebration 'cake' I didn't have my usual desire to eat the whole lot of it (unusual to say the least for me...even though I never actually would!) and I ended the night early and the babysitters were relieved before midnight! Darn!!!

I spent Sunday bedridden! We were supposed to go to the first birthday party of twins who belong to friends of ours (damn, I'd spent ages in Pumpkin Patch the previous week picking out the most delightful outfits as pressies, too!) but of course had to cancel!

And on Monday, when the alarm went at 7.45am to prod me into getting out and getting kids ready for school, I was so dizzy and feeling so awful that I made a spur of the moment decision that perhaps school wasn't necessary on this particular Monday after all and treated all of us to a sleep in and a day off! The 11 year old said that he woke at 11 am (yes, he is a true night owl!) and had to check 5 different clocks in the house to make sure that he wasn't dreaming that he'd missed school! I, on the other hand woke just after 11.30 with a fever just below 39 degrees! I also realised late last night that I completely forgot an orthodontist appointment for the 11 year old that had been made a month earlier! Grrrr!

But being sick does have its advantages. Firstly, my dear mum came up and cooked dinner for us all (m-wah, love you mum!) so that was one chore that I didn't have to bother with. Then, when Dear Husband came home from work, I calmly pointed to the washing in the machine which he, in turn had to hang out (although too bad that he only shoved half of it into the dryer!)! But, he did spent most of Sunday running after my every need! Hmmmm....I could get used to this! And when you are bedridden and dizzy, then you really don't see all the chores that need doing in the house and consequently have no guilt! Ha! Works for me!

So now I am left with a nasty cough and am living on Ventolin. I have absolutely no energy and feel like I have been hit by a bus! Yep...it takes the flu to ruin more than a weekend!

And as a PS.....thanks to all those who sent lovely comments about my son's recent appearance in the latest Powderfinger video. It is so much appreciated. He has been acting like Mr Cool...as if it doesn't affect him....but his teacher told me this morning that he told her all about it! And I did notice that he sat in front of Video Hits on Saturday morning until it came on tv! So he is obviously pretty excited. I have added another picture from 'behind the scenes' here. And for all you who want to know which one he is, sorry but I did say that I am very wary of publishing too much info here. I will tell you that he has a pretty big part though. Does that help? And no....he isn't mini Bernard (although I will say that IRL mini-Bernard and his parents are the loveliest, loveliest people!)!