Saturday, April 3, 2010

Smooth Operation!!!

A few days ago, I went into hospital and had my troublesome gall bladder removed.

Apart from a couple of Cesarean-sections, I've never had an operation before and have never been completely put out to it, under anesthetic.

The experience, while not one that I want to repeat, certainly was a learning curve.

Firstly, I now know that I can tolerate anesthetic. I also know that when you come out from anesthetic you feel as though you've just experienced a wonderful sleep. For a few groggy seconds, you feel a combination of relief that you came through and a sense of just wanting to return to the land of nod to enjoy what is left of that fantastic sleep!

I now know that a couple of hours after the anesthetic wears off, the pain of healing sets in. Not fun but essential.

I also know that any movement after an operation is painful!

I've learnt that a key hole gall bladder removal is called a Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy which equals a fancy couple of words for ouch!!! Pain!!!

I've discovered that eating after a gall bladder removal can be a nauseating feeling for a few days. Even now, I'm only on small meals....large ones make my tummy hurt!

I have also found out that while you are having a gall bladder operation, the surgeon pumps your tummy full of carbon dioxide gas. This helps her or him to see what they are doing. Once the operation is finished, this gas has to come out somewhere. While the doctor tries to get it out, some is inevitably left over and can cause nasty pains in your shoulders especially!

I have four cuts in my tummy from gall bladder surgery. They tell me that one near my belly button is where they removed the actual bladder and put the camera in. The others are where instruments went in.

Most of all I've learnt that when you have surgery, your friends are family are the absolute best people in the whole wide world. They send wishes, love, prayers and (in the case of my parents) look after you while you recuperate!