Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Gall Of It All!


Having gall problems is not fun!

It's particularly not fun when you love yummy, interesting food.

It's really particularly not fun when your side hurts and everything that you eat which has a fat content of more than zero means that your side hurts even more!

So these days I'm limping my way through the kitchen, digging in cupboards and the refrigerator trying to find something, anything that is fat free and nicer than boiled rice.

OK, boiled rice is part of my stable diet at the moment but how to make that rice tasty is the challenge. Chicken, vegetables, fish and fruit are on the 'to eat' list. But so many of my favourite foods are off the list....yoghurt (which I love!!!), avocado, bananas, light sour cream, cheese and even too many cups of tea.....all a big no, no!

I'm sure that part of the issue I'm having at the moment is caused from the fact that my body is still adjusting to the recent attack. I'm also trying to be really, really good so that everything is ready to go for the operation.


If you are reading this and dealing with your first adjustment to a gall bladder attack, take heart...there are some tasty things that don't set you off! My absolute favourite, however is a simple jar of mild tomato salsa. Not too spicy and it has virtually no fat! Last night I fried up some large mushrooms and mixed them with salsa. Then I put it on rice. It was totally delish! I've also used salsa as a topping for meat instead of sauce. And it makes a great dip and spread as well.

So these days it's a forced diet. My friends tell me that I have never really eaten badly anyway, although do admit to having a weakness for take away food when I'm too tired to cook and for cooking cakes and biscuits (hey, I blame my Irish Catholic stock here...we like to cook and feed people!). These days though, I'm open to any suggestions for completely fat free eating! Anything to avoid the pain!


Picture courtesy of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mexico.Salsa.02.jpg