Monday, March 22, 2010

What A Gall!

When planning a big holiday, the one thing that sits in the back of your mind is the worry of the possibility of the unknown. Naturally, I worry mostly about sickness with the kids, accidents etc etc. But it is not the kids that have me stressing over thwarted holiday plans....it's me!

Last night, just prior to bed, I started feeling pain in my abdomen. Just a bit of indigestion, I thought....until I was buckled over in pain hours later. I tried everything....nanna remedies, codeine and hot water bottles. After a night of no sleep, I relented and rang an ambulance who diagnosed......gall bladder!!!!!

Omg! I thought that gall problems were an old person's illness!!! Apparently not! In fact, I've found out today that if there is a family history (tick!!) then you can be more prone to them.

The paramedics offered to drive me to the hospital or suggested that I wait for an hour or so for my own doctor to open. I decided on the latter. So after a day of doctors, blood tests, scans etc, I can now tell you that I have gall stones - one in particular blocking the duct in the gall bladder!

This nasty little invader has caused issues around that area...inflammation and a flow-on effect to the liver.

So what does all this mean? Operation!!! I'm not sure when but it will be soon so I will keep you informed! In the meantime, I'm on the world's most boring diet of bland, bland foods! Yuck!

But the best news....if it all goes well, I'll still be ok to travel!!! Counting down till June!