Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Evening With Jodi Picoult

I love Jodi Picoult stories. She is definitely one of my favourite authors as her stories are so interesting! She manages to tackle such current issues in informative, yet entertaining ways.

So when we heard that Jodi was returning to Brisbane to do a book tour, my sweet friend (yep, you know who you are and I know that you are reading this!) managed to organise tickets.

Now, this is not the first time that we have seen Jodi speak. Last time we went to a little book store over the river and were shuffled out to the back deck - along with about 50 other people - for a wonderful intimate setting to hear her speak. Afterwards, we lined up to have her sign book copies and the atmosphere was wonderful.

This evening - about 2+ years later - the venue was much bigger (City Hall) and so was the crowd of approximately 400!

Jodi, it seems, hasn't changed much. She is still so incredibly interesting to listen to and so well informed on the issues that she writes of. She spent quite a bit of time reading an excerpt from her novel and told of the experience of researching for her latest book, Change of Heart. Afterwards, she answered questions from the audience.

Sadly though, bigger venues and fame mean that Jodi's time is more in demand and the intimacy of the smaller venue was lost. She spoke for only about an hour but to be honest, I could have listened to her speak for the entire night. And I wasn't even going to attempt to line up for book signing when the queue snaked around the entire foyer!

And unfortunately, no photograph because I left my camera at home!

So I've decided that if I ever get asked one of those inane questions about which famous people I would invite to a dinner, Jodie Picoult would be up there in my top 5! And no, I wouldn't invite 400 people to join us! Lol!