Friday, January 9, 2009

There In Tasmania.....!!!!!! Part One!!!!

If you have wondered what had happened to me, wonder no more! I have been on a jaunt to Tasmania to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin and to have a jolly wonderful time to boot!

Now, you know that the omen for a fabbo holiday is good, when you are sitting at Melbourne airport waiting for a connecting flight to Launceston (Launnie to the locals, apparently! Lol!) when this man walks past......one very weary looking Wil Anderson! Now, I just love Wil Anderson but no, wasn't tempted to run up and crash tackle him to the ground in search of an autograph....or to tell him that I once had an interesting dream about him! But hey, that's for another post....one day!

Our first stop when we did reach Tasmania was Launceston. Or actually south of Launceston. We spent time with family and rested in preparation for Day 2.......the little drive north where we saw a lighthouse at Low Head and drove across the Batman Bridge! Ok, this was the best pic I could get of it but still, it was interesting at the time!
After driving up the eastern side of the Tamar River, we headed across to the western side and visited the town of Beaconsfield. Now, like many others, we knew Beconsfield because of the recent mine collapse and so, visited the mine itself, although sadly didn't have time to do the full mine museum tour.
After Beaconsfield, Miss Nine was desperate to trip up to Beauty Point and see Seahorse World and Platypus World. Sadly, Seahorse World don't like you taking photographs, but this little guy was one of the residents of Platypus World.
And so were these guys.......incredibly cute Tasmanian echidnas!

On day 2 we headed north-west. After stopping at Anvers Chocolate Factory, and meeting up with the delightful Theresa we lunched at the local pub in the town of LaTrobe. I asked for a Chicken Kiev meal, expecting a prepackaged, overheated, typical counter meal. Instead, I got this:
After that, it was onto Stanley where we climbed 'The Nut' (which is actually a mountain-slash-extinct volcanic core) via a chairlift. Hmmmm...ok, so we didn't actually climb it, but I'm sure that we thought about it...at some stage!
So the first two days in Tasmania were eventful. The most common thing I've been asked is if I found it cold. Compared to Queensland weather the answer is definitely, yes! But probably not as cold as I expected. Ok, I admit that I donned puffy jacket, beanie and scarf on numerous days but hey, it was good to get an extra wear out of our winter wardrobe.

Also, stay tuned to this spot cause I'm doing another couple of entries about my Tassie holiday.