Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tasmanian Tales.....Part 2!!!!

Day 4 in Tasmania was a highlight of our trip. We trekked west-ward with my wonderful rellies (who also gave me a break from driving....God bless them!).

First stop was the town of Sheffield where we bought old biscuit and chocolate tins for my collection from a closing-down museum. (Ok, not a delight to drag onto the plane home but I left that treasure to DH!). While in Sheffield, we also had tea and scones from a local store and Miss Nine had her picture taken with a pet Llama!

After Sheffield, we ventured past the Promised Land.......can you believe it!!!!

We ended up in the town of Lower Crackpot (I kid you not!!!!) to try the garden maze walk. Now, this maze is one hellova site....lots of hedges making amazing (sorry the pun!) mazes to walk through. On the way, you stumbled across miniature villages like this one. I think that this was the Little Pigs' cottages!

From Lower Crackpot (which still cracks me up!) we kept going until we reached Cradle Mountain. I really don't think that words describe this amazing place but it is so pristine and tranquil that recommending a trip there to anyone who ventures to Tasmania is probably an understatement. Oh, and yes, that is snow around the top of it! Go figure....snow in January! Who woulda thunk it!!!!

On day 5, we decided to have a quieter day around Launceston. The Cataract Gorge, which is close to the city, was an interesting place to visit and is home to quite a few of these pretty peacocks. Obviously, there was a girl peacock around, cause all of the boys were putting on an incredible show.

You can get the chair-lift across Cataract Gorge for a small price. It's a pretty place and the suspension bridge made it all the more prettier. After the Gorge visit, we went to the city where I once again saw Twilight. I know. I'm a Twilight addict!

Day 6....we drove to Hobart! We were fortunate enough to visit the Cadbury factory and have a short talk before heading into their store where, being chocolate lovers, we spent a fortune! After that it was off to our motel apartment where we had this delightful view of the Tasman Bridge!
One thing that DH wanted to do was the drive up Mt Wellington, which overlooks Hobart. Here is where I shamefully admit that, although I don't fear heights, I do have a fear of driving on narrow roads, around hairpin bends with drops that resemble the view from an airplane and so, at 1000 metres above sea level, in a fit of shaking knees and jelly legs, I turned the car around and chickened out! This is the only photo I got of our ascent cause I was so darn scared! I'm sure that the view from the very top was magnificent but you know what....so is my sanity!

Finally, after Mt Wellington, we drove to the Superteen's place of interest......Bellerive Oval! On a walk around the oval, I snuck my camera in a gap in the fence to get this snazzy shot!


Stay tuned for the third and final entry on our trip to Tasmania soon.