Saturday, January 5, 2008

Twilight....Not Just For Teens!


In the wake of my sudden revelation that I am developing a taste (lol!) for all things vampire (scary!), I have discovered the Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.

Initially, I had read about this series on the internet and it was only while half way through reading the actual Twilight novel that I realised that it was recommended for teen readers in the US. Hmmmm....not at my local bookstore though where it was squished amongst all of the other vampire and creepy, ghostly type adult books and when the 20+ sales guy raved to me about how great the story was!

It was also of some comfort to me to hear Stephenie Meyer herself describing here how in her mind she was initially writing the book for herself so therefore 30+ readers! Phew! Didn't feel like such a book reading baby after all!

So yesterday I began the first novel and was still awake, much to Dear Husband's chagrin at 3 o'clock this morning cause I just couldn't put it down. The idea of a good-guy vampire (Edward Cullen) who really does have a dangerous side and whose day-to-day existence involves fighting inner turmoil really intrigues me. And the fact that he's mysterious, hot, drives a nice car and is totally in love with the lead character Bella, kinda drew me into the pages. Too bad that he is perpetually 17 though, although many books, tv shows and movies have proven that age is no barrier to the satisfaction of a viewer.

And the fact that Twilight is a love story first and a vampire story second, also satisfies the Austen-Bronte lover within me! It must satisfy others, too cause I have since found out that it's a huge success as a novel and they are now making it into a movie. Can't wait to see that!

So today I am now the proud owner of all 3 books (so far) in the series. Tonight, if I can stay awake, I will be starting book 2. Hmmmm....reading vampire books at midnight! Very scary!!!