Monday, August 15, 2011

Sunshine On A Cooking Day!


On the weekend, I raided my mother's recipe cupboard in search of old recipes of my grandmother's for one of my children's school project. I knew that my mother had managed to salvage the recipe books from the rubbish after my grandmother had passed, but I'd never really had the time to investigate her find.

What I discovered was a treasure trove of tidbits from the 50s and 60s that any housewife of the era would have been proud of!

My grandmother was a pretty amazing woman who had a pretty interesting life. She was born to Irish immigrants in Queensland but was put into an orphanage at a young age. After leaving the orphanage, she worked for the famous Brisbane Archbishop, James Duhig on his kitchen staff until she met my grandfather (in church, naturally!), married him and ended up having eight children! My memories of her were always of her cooking in her kitchen.....ensuring that we all knew that great Irish Catholic hospitality when we visited!

So back to her cookbooks....in amongst the many pages of the books that she had handwritten were many different recipes and bits and pieces that she'd cut out of magazines and kept. One of these was the Golden Circle recipe for Palm Island Pie. I couldn't resist taking a photo of it and am sending a big shout out to Fun & VJs as this recipe works beautifully with her pineapple inspired cooking theme! This recipe, as you can see from the photo, is pretty retro swish these days!

So in the interests of sharing the recipe love, I've taken a photo of the recipe for you all to have a try of. I am yet to have a go of it, but that is on my 'to do' list!