Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More Flood Pictures







My husband had to make his way into work this morning to the suburb of Rocklea as water was rising quickly and they were trying to move stock out. Sadly, he wasn't able to get through (he did move stock at another office on the other side of the river though). The clearing out of the company office proved futile as the water was rising too quickly for the enormity of the job. However, all are safe and DH did get some good photos. Now, they are waiting for the waters to recede and for the clean up to begin.

As I write this, many people who live in and around the Brisbane and Bremer Rivers are living in emergency shelters while their homes go underwater. Most Brisbane people know someone (or know someone who knows someone) who is affected by this flood. Devastation is everywhere and as a Brisbanite, born and bred, it makes me cry to see the footage coming out of our televisions. I was a little girl in the 74 floods (hmmm...giving my age away a bit there!) so my memories of it are very dim, but to watch footage of places so familiar to me being destroyed by flood water is heart-breaking.

So tonight, I am thinking of all of those people who have lost so much and I'm thanking God for the emergency workers, volunteers etc who are helping them! And I'm thinking of the city that is my home!