Sunday, November 28, 2010

Family History Updates!

It's been a while since I posted about my on-going family history research so thought I should update!

Good news #1: Remember how I posted about my grandmother's family history here? Unfortunately, I have not had any further information on this family but have managed to track down my grandmother's step sister. I now know that she was still alive right up until the early 2000s and does have descendants living in Queensland somewhere. I've been searching for this woman for years and thanks to a little further information through a contact was able to piece it together.

Good news #2: You might remember me posting about the Gilbert family here! Once again, thanks to a collaboration, we have discovered when and where James Gilbert died. Although not a lot of further information was listed on his death certificate, it appears he was English - if the death informant was correct!

Good news #3: I have invested. After years of lying in an unmarked grave, my great grandfather now has a small but still significant headstone on his resting place. It is weird deciding how to memorialise someone who you have never actually met but without whom, you would not exist! I am yet to visit his grave as it is in a large Queensland country town, but perhaps will get a chance to travel there soon. I hope that somewhere, wherever he is, that he is feeling a little chuffed that he wasn't forgotten!

I love that I have been studying family history for more than 20 years now and am still finding things that surprise me! It's one of the joys of this interesting hobby!


Ps...Tonsils are healing ok. The pain is still significant but is getting better each day. Pain meds are still being given though and I have this week off work to care for her!