Sunday, May 31, 2009

Music To My Ears!


In recent years the Superteen has definitely developed an interest in music. You may remember his grandfather investing in a drum kit for him when he was in the primary school band percussion section and getting percussion lessons at school. Once he hit high school, however, he decided that he was 'so over' drums and wanted a break.

He did not give up his musical interests though. Instead, he elected to do music theory as a subject and this year, asked if he could learn piano.

Yes....piano! Those blawdy big instruments that cost thousands and thousands of dollars and look like they need spit polishing with an oily rag! And don't even get me started on the fact that group lessons for piano, apparently are not an option and private lessons are supposedly the only type available! Don't even ask me about costs either.....I'm trying not to think too hard about that one!

Anyhow, this week, I went searching for a nice, simple piano alternative for him to do home practice on and, as you can see from my photo, I found it!

This very sweet Casio keyboard was on special at the local music store. Ok, it's 12 keys short of a piano, but apparently, that won't matter for about another two or three years (and I'm hoping that I'll find a nice cheap digital piano before then!).

In the meantime, the Superteen is loving his new instrument...and we love it, too! Did you know that unlike drums and violins, keyboards actually have a little socket where you can plug headphones into??? Ah bliss! Our ears are at peace and the Superteen is happy! What more could we ask for!