Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Dinner That Should Never Have Been!

As a working mum,cooking meals each night for the family are a real pain but usually, I make the effort. Tonight, however, given that Dear Husband has been unwell and the fact that I was feeling completely overrun with work, I decided to sneak in some simple heat-and-eat supermarket meals onto the menu. So on the way home from work, I dashed into the local supermarket and bought some easy meals....lasagne for the kids and a very plain fish for Dear Husband and me.

I should have known that it would end in disaster when I was barely in the garage and the Superteen met me at the door begging to make home-made nachos! Ummmmm....not a hope, I told him!

Then the fun began. After complaining throughout the whole cooking process that he was 'STARVING', the Superteen grabbed his lasagne off the bench as soon as it appeared from the oven and - you guessed it - up-ended the whole lot on the floor! One mess, a lot of tears and a couple of happy dogs later, Miss Nine graciously offered to give him her lasagne if she could go down the road to a fave corner store and buy spaghetti bolognaise. Dear Husband, who was feeling much better, took her.

After their return, Miss Nine set herself down to eat when Dear Husband took one look at his fish and unceremoniously threw it in the bin! His excuse....I smelt it and it smelt weird so I threw it. Ummmmm....it was done in light herbs, of course it smelt different! Mine was really nice, thank you very much! I was sooooo not happy!

Naturally, the kids thought that all of this food drama was hilarious! They followed me into the study to tell me that dad had thrown his food out! Soooo not usually an acceptable behaviour in this house!

As I walked out of the room, I noticed a flash of movement at the dining table. Imagine my horror when I realised that it was the dog sitting up on Miss Nine's chair and eating her newly bought meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All it was missing was a napkin on and knife and fork in its paws!

Arrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Next time, I'm giving in and going back to cooking dinner! The drama of easy dinners are sooooo not worth it!!