Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Sad Day For Brisbane

Many people in Brisbane and for that matter, Australia are still in mourning this week over the shocking death of 12 year old Elliot Fletcher at his school on Monday. I know that when I first heard the news, I stood in stunned disbelief. (For more info see here.)

For those of you who do not live in Brisbane, you need to know that the Shorncliffe/Sandgate area is one of the loveliest areas on the Brisbane northside and only about a 10 minute drive from my home. I have spoken of it here before. It sits alongside Moreton Bay and has managed to remain relatively unaffected by development up until recently. St Patricks College sits on the point and overlooks local houses, the foreshore parkland and bay beyond. As a family, we love to drive there, have fish and chips, go fishing, walking and cycling and investigate all of the interesting little shops in the nearby village. In fact, my wedding photos were taken on Shorncliffe pier. The words quiet, peaceful and family-oriented are all words that I would use to describe the area. Not an area that you would expect such a sad crime to happen in.

Watching the news over the last few days has been very disturbing. As a mother, my heart aches for both families involved in this incredibly sad tragedy. The thought of anyone losing their baby (and let's face it, they are still babies when you are their parent!) under any circumstances is heart-wrenching. As well, as the mother of a son who goes to another northside boys Catholic school, I have looked at images of boys in uniform mourning the loss of their classmate with looks of bewilderment on their faces and thought how incredibly close to home it feels. Every day my son goes off to school in those same little baggy grey shorts, long socks and similar grey shirt; every day I wave him off to the bus stop, effectively placing his safety in a system that we trust will protect our boys. Words cannot express the feeling of sadness I have now I realise how fragile that trust is.

I did not know any of the boys involved in this incident. I do know people who live in the area and I do know people whose sons go to that school. Like many, I have heard rumours but I think that we may never know the true story behind the events of last Monday.

What I do know is that there are two families in pain in Brisbane right now and my thoughts and prayers go out to both of them. May God hold all involved in the palm of His hand.