Monday, May 7, 2007

The Big Dry


At the moment, the area that I live in is suffering from a terrible drought. Now usually, when you think of 'droughts', you picture images of cattle dying, animals looking for water, etc. Yes, that is happening to all those out of the city, but even in the city areas, we are feeling the effects! Plants are dying and we are not allowed to water them. Dams are diminishing. Our cars can no longer be washed effectively. And I have actually given up my favourite thing of all....the long shower!

That's right! 4 minute showers are all the go here! No longer do I day-dream, ponder or reflect under the hot water. Now it has become a business-like affair! Get in, get wet, wash, scrub, rinse and get out! It's a sad state of affairs when you have to think twice before you grab the loofah. When you quickly try to work out how long a quick exfoliant will take. And when the thought of doing a 'quick leg shave' leaves you with guilt! The bathroom accessory of choice now is a little hourglass that suctions onto the shower glass and measures out 4 minutes! And if it runs out and you still have shampoo in your hair then you are in trouble!

Today I ventured out into my once flourishing front yard. What used to be a blanket of green is now a prickly underlay of dead grass and dirt. I don't know if the photo shows how bad it really is, but it is bad. And although I have been pouring the recycled washing machine water on parts of it, there is just not enough to give most of it a good soak. Even the plants are starting to yellow and lose leaves. We just watch in despair.

Now while writing all of this, I am mindful that in parts of our country there are people whose livelihood is being affected by this drought. The farmers are the first that spring to mind. There are also business people who are struggling because of the drought. My heart goes out to them. My dying grass kinda seems trivial compared to what they are going through.

So we are praying for rain.....and lots of it! Let's just hope that the skies open up on us before it gets any worse!